Monday 4 May 2015

WEAPONIZING EFFECTIVENESS - SEAL Tactics for Life

May the 4th be with you guys.

As you saw, I didn’t post on Saturday. Why? Because I wanted to greet you this month with the salutation, “may the 4th be with you.” Why? Because I’m a Baby Boomer who makes lame jokes? Absolutely not (OK, I DO make lame jokes, but that’s not the reason in this particular case).

It’s because the Star Wars stories are about …. well …. they are about war … and this month I want to take you to WAR!  


Almost 14 years ago I declared war on my dysfunctional way of living. Over the years that have ensued I have learned and tinkered with many strategies and tactics. Many (most) have proven toothless and devoid of power to actually initiate change within. But a few have proven powerful. I want to share some of that with you this month.

Back to Star Wars for a minute. This franchise changed the face of movies forever and I was blessed to be amongst the handful (OK, so there were hundreds of millions of us) who got to see those movies live as originals and not as re-runs. In many ways Star Wars was a true trichotomy because it had:



  1. futuristic gadgetry like laser swords and star ships and death stars;
  2. old-fashioned “western-like” good/bad guys and shoot ‘em ups (albeit with laser guns);
  3. mind-over-matter mysticism and magic.


This month I want to talk about war … the inner war that wages inside all of us … and the things that I learned that have helped me immensely in winning more battles than I’m losing. I’m launching into this month’s discussion from a strange angle … not from one of modern gadgetry, mysticism or shoot ‘em up westerns … but from one of extreme personal training and discipline.

When I think about rigorous training and discipline I immediately think about the US Navy SEALs. They are amongst the world’s leading battlers in dangerous and challenging situations. I won’t debate about whether or not they are the very best … that’s a debate I’m not equipped to take on … but Seals are world-renowned for their skills and training. In case you didn’t know (although I’m sure you did), the term “Seal” is actually an acronym:

Navy SEAL Insignia



Se.A.L. … meaning that they are highly skilled in battle and trained to operate in all environments, on the Sea, in the Air or on the Land.






SEALs are mission-minded. Always!

SEALs are intentional in everything they do – always connecting to purpose minute-by-minute. They never do anything for no reason. They are very successful because they are literally intentional mission-minded purpose machines, starting with their training, ending with the completion of each mission, and throughout the strategic disengagement in between.

In keeping with that I will spend the next 3 weeks focusing on one particular aspect of each of the words as it relates to highly focused inner training/discipline. In particular:

Sea – how I learned to have a mind like water (and what that even means)

Air – how I learned to develop a reliable purpose-serving autopilot

Land – what I learned about training from the largest LAND animal

On the final week I want to explain why the best path to personal inner discipline is to “let slip the dogs of war.”  (have you heard this expression?  do you know what it means?)

I love you guys


PS – Happy Engagement Faith!  Woohooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment